Continuing Education Programs
If you’re a healthcare professional looking to fulfill your continuing education units (CEUs), Direction Home Akron Canton is here to help. We offer a diverse library of CEU programs with a 95.1 percent satisfaction rating. All of our courses are open to the public, regardless of licensure, and based on trending issues in the healthcare profession. Direction Home Akron Canton is an approved provider for*:
- Licensed Social Workers (LSW)
- Licensed Independent Social Workers (LISW)
- Social Work Assistants (SWA)
- Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors (LPCC)
- Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC)
- Licensed Nursing Home Administrators (LNHA)
Costs, times, CEU eligibility and location vary with each program, and all of our courses require advance registration. Take a look at our upcoming programs listed below!
*Nurses may attend programs approved through the Counseling, Social Worker, and Marriage & Family Therapy (CSWMFT) board and receive CEUs. Please refer to the Nursing Continuing Education for Renewal Ohio Revised Code for details.
July 24, 2019 CEU
Beyond the Office: Transference and Countertransference in Day to Day Life
3180 W. Market St., Fairlawn
9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Speaker: Martha (Marty) D. Laska, MAED, LPCC-S, LICDC-S, CHT
6 CEUs: LSWs, LISWs, SWAs, Nurses (reciprocity); LPC/LPCC
- The participant will be able to describe more fully the definition and impact of transference/countertransference in both professional and personal life
- Participants will increase their knowledge of methods of recognizing their own patterns of transference/countertransference, including but not limited to physical reactions
- Participants will become for familiar with effective interactions with other professionals
- Role play and discussion will assist the participants in effectively identifying and appropriately responding to countertransference in their patient interactions
- Participants will become more attuned to their own needs for assistance with countertransference. Participants will utilize role play and discussion in order to effectively identify the point at which they need to seek assistance
- Participants will increase in awareness of the possibility of colleagues and coworkers emotional reactions in order to respond in a more objective fashion, thus improving professional interactions in the workplace and improving client services
July 29, 2019
August 13, 2019 Workshops
Social Security: With You Through Life's Journey
1015 Edison St. NW, Hartville
12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Check-in and lunch provided from 11:30-noon
Speaker: Robert Fenn, Public Affairs Specialist, Social Security Administration
August 19, 2019 CEU
Cross-Cultural Sensitivity Training: Nepali and Bhutanese Populations
Guy's Party Center
500 Waterloo Rd., Akron
9:00 am - 11:00 am (check-in and breakfast provided from 8:30 - 9:00 am)
1:00 pm - 3:00 pm (check in and lunch provided from 12:30 - 1:00 pm)
Susan Berg Herman, Director of Strategic Initiatives & Special Projects, Asian Services in Action
Thunda Choonukoonphong, MBA, Program Coordinator Asian Services in Action
William E. Coleman, Ph.D, M.A, B.A, Founder, Coleman Cultural Engagement Foundation
Ama K. Kamar, Program Assistant, Asian Services in Action
2 CEUs pending: LSWs, LISWs, SWAs, Nurses (reciprocity)
- Participants will have a better understanding of their own culture in relation to others
- Participants will learn specific ways of conducting themselves in order to effectively engage with the Nepali-speaking population and acquire a basic understanding of the cultural norms associated with this community.
August 22, 2019
Caregiver Connection: Cultivating Caregiving
Embassy Suites Akron Canton
7883 Freedom Ave. NW, Canton
9:15 am - 3:00 pm (check-in and breakfast provided from 8:30 - 9:00 am)
1 CEU: LSWs, LISWs, SWAs, Nurses (reciprocity), LPC/LPCC
Sam Butcher is an experienced elder law attorney with his own growing and expanding law firm. He is understanding and compassionate. He takes time with his clients to ensure they feel comfortable and understand this complex area of law. Sam is so dedicated to his clients that each receives his personal cell phone number. Sam can help you and your family prevent mistakes and preserve assets.
We will make a pampering foot soak for you to take home and enjoy
11:30 AM—12:15 PM: Lunch
12:15 PM—1:15 PM: Who Ruffles Your Feathers? (1.0 CEU: LSW/LISW/SWA; Nurses (Via reciprocity with the SW board); LPC/LPCC
Marcella Balin is a well-known and highly regarded educator and presenter. She is an independent nurse entrepreneur and lecturer with thirty-eight years of experience. Marcella brings years of ongoing professional education in human and organizational development to her workshops. She is a very energetic and dynamic speaker.
1:15 PM—2:45 PM: String Art (make & take)
Strung by Shawna will be there and show us how to make an adorable string art project you won't want to miss!
2:45 PM-3:00 PM: Gift Basket Giveaway
Want updates on upcoming CEUs delivered to your inbox?
Contact Lori Smith at email@example.com or 330.899.5255 with any questions you may have regarding CEU programs.