The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) provides assistance to Ohioans who need help managing their energy bills. A federally funded program administered by the Ohio Department of Development, Office of Community Service (OCS), HEAP provides a one-time payment for public utilities

Winter Crisis Program: November – March

The Home Energy Assistance Winter Crisis Program (HEAP Winter Crisis Program) helps income eligible Ohioans that are threatened with disconnection, have been disconnected or have less than a 25 percent supply of bulk fuel in their tank maintain their utility service. 

Ohio households serviced by a Public Utilities Commission of Ohio-regulated utility must sign up for the Percentage of Income Payment Plan Plus (PIPP) or another payment plan if there is still an outstanding balance on the bill after receiving assistance.


Summer Crisis Program: (July 1-Sept 30)

The Home Energy Assistance Summer Crisis Program provides a one-time benefit to eligible Ohioans with cooling assistance during the summer months. 

The focus of the Summer Crisis Program is to provide assistance with electric utility bills, central air conditioning repairs, and air conditioning unit and/or fan purchases.

Regular HEAP:

The Ohio Department of Development and Direction Home Akron Canton Area Agency on Aging and Disabilities want to remind senior citizens in Ohio that assistance is available to help with their home energy bills. The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) helps Ohioans at or below 175 percent of the federal poverty guidelines pay their heating bills.

Applied directly to the customer’s utility or bulk fuel bill, the benefit can help manage heating costs. Senior citizens may go to their local Area Agency on Aging office for help with assembling the required documents and completing their HEAP application. Senior citizens may also visit to apply online or to download a copy of the application. 

When applying, individuals need to have copies of the following documents:

  • Most recent utility bills
  • A list of all household members (including birth dates and Social Security numbers)
  • Proof of income for the past 30 days for all household members (12 months for certain income types)
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or legal residency for all household members
  • Proof of disability (if applicable)

HEAP benefits are applied to an individual’s energy bill after January 1st. Applications for the HEAP program must be received by May 31, 2023.

For more information or assistance with applying for a HEAP benefit, contact Direction Home Aging and Disabilities at 877-770-5558. To be connected to your local Energy Assistance provider, call (800) 282-0880 (hearing impaired clients may dial 711 for assistance) or visit


How to Apply

To apply for HEAP assistance, you need to fill out this application. If you have any questions or need help completing the form, please call Direction Home at 877-770-5558.

For more detailed information on HEAP eligibility, click here.

Questions about what the HEAP application looks like? Not sure what needs filled out in the application? Walkthrough it with an ADRC Representative in the video below:*

*Please note that eligibility and benefits may vary between Regular HEAP programming and Crisis (Summer and Winter) HEAP programming. 

To turn in your fully completed application, please check drop-off processes for your local Community Action Agency. This can vary from location-to-location.

Portage: Community Action Portage County website ; Contact CAC for more information at 330-297-1456 or via email at 

Stark: Community Action Stark County website; For more information, contact the HEAP Office, located at 1370 Market Avenue North, Canton OH 44714, or call 330-454-1850 to see if you qualify.

Summit: Community Action Summit County website; HEAP appointment line at 330-436-0261; You may also drop off or mail the completed application and all required documentation at 670 W. Exchange Street, Akron, Ohio 44302

Wayne: Community Action Wayne County website; 905 Pittsburgh Ave, Wooster, OH 44691; (330) 264- 8677