The Joseph L. Ruby Student Scholarship honors Direction Home Akron Canton's former President and CEO. A visionary in the field of long-term care, Mr. Ruby led our organization for more than 35 years and is nationally recognized for his expertise. He is passionate about higher education, especially degrees supporting older adults and individuals with disabilities. If you share Mr. Ruby’s passion, you are invited to contribute to the scholarship fund and help support the journey of tomorrow’s long-term care leaders.
Scholarship Award & Eligibility
Each year, Direction Home Akron Canton offers at least one scholarship stipend of $5,000 or more to one college student studying in the field of gerontology, social work, health and human services, nursing, or a related social services field to assist with academic expenses. The Joseph L. Ruby Student Scholarship recognizes students with a vested interest in the long-term care of older adults and individuals with disabilities. Winners must live in or attend school in Portage, Stark, Summit or Wayne County, Ohio. Current employees of Direction Home are not eligible.
How to Apply
To apply for the Joseph L. Ruby Scholarship, applicants must submit:
- A letter of reference (professional or academic)
- A copy of your most recent transcript
- Signature of academic advisor or department advisor
- Essay addressing:
- Your educational goals, as well as current and proposed coursework
- Your current and future occupational goals
- Your need for the scholarship (include how you plan to use the funds, course[s] to be taken, if known, university and/or department)
- Applicable work, volunteer and academic experiences
- Completed application form (see below)
You can access the application form online via the Akron Community Foundation. Once you have created an account, use the "Quick Search" button or scroll down to select the Joseph L. Ruby Student Scholarship (listed under “R”) and click “Apply."
Now Accepting Applications for the 2020-2021 Academic Year
We look forward to reviewing your application! Our Scholarship Committee will select applicants for an in-person interview with the Direction Home Akron Canton Board of Directors. Interviews will take place in October, and chosen scholarship recipients and their families will be invited to attend an awards ceremony in December.
Questions? Please contact Laura Villwock.