What is Self-Direction?
Self-Direction or self-directed services means that participants, or their representatives if applicable, have decision-making authority over certain services and take direct responsibility to manage their services with the assistance of a system of available supports.
Who is appropriate for Self-Direction?
- Desire to have control of decisions regarding care
- Understanding of service specifications
- Ability to manage decisions and verbalize decisions
- Ability to be the “Employer”
- Strong problem solving skills including ability to interview, hire, train, supervise and terminate employees
- Safe and stable living environment
- Strong and stable back-up plan
- Agree to work with a Fiscal Management Service
- Member may have a Self-Directed Authorized Representative act on their behalf
Self-Directed Service Option
§ Member and Case Manager decide what services are needed based on assessment
§ Member locates providers with assistance from case manager
§ Member participates in the application process with assistance from case manager so that provider can be certified
§ Prospective provider becomes certified as a Choices Home Care Attendant or Consumer Directed Personal Care Aide
§ Member dictates schedule based on assessed need
§ Member hires, trains and manages employee
§ Member addresses service issues directly with employee
§ Case Manager monitors quality of service and satisfaction
§ Member must continue to have a strong back-up plan
What is involved in the process to become certified to provide care?
Complete the online application at http://aging.ohio.gov.
- At the top, click on “for agencies & service providers”
- On the left, choose “certification”
- Scroll to the middle of the page, click “Individual provider: Choices Home Care Attendant”
- Scroll to the bottom and click “Create account”
- Set Up Account – OH/ID and My DODD access
- Follow the instructions
- After submission of your online application and all necessary documents you may check your application status at 1-800-266-4346.
- Your application will be forwarded to Direction Home Akron Canton Provider Relations Department for review.
- You will be contacted by a Direction Home Akron Canton Provider Relations person for a pre-certification interview.
- After the interview you will be mailed a contract to complete and it must be completed and returned to Direction Home
PHASE 3 – can be completed with the help of Direction Home
Financial Management Service payment information: YOU NEED TO BE PAID!!
- Contact Direction Home at 330-899-5368 or 330-899-5377 to explain that you have completed PHASE 2 of this process.
- You and your Employee (the person receiving service) must enroll with the Financial Management Service (FMS). The FMS is Public Partnerships, LLC. (PPL)
- DHAD staff will assist with enrollment process to the FMS.
- Schedule home visit with DHAD staff, provider, individual
- Sign enrollment forms
- Negotiate Rate of Pay
- An Enrollment Specialist from PPL will contact you and the member to assist with the remainder of the enrollment steps to PPL.
- You can bill for services when “Good to Go” is received and the service plan is authorized by the case manager
If you are interested please contact Direction Home at 1-800-421-7277 for more information regarding the Self-Directed process.